| Our local waters have a huge population of midges and are mostly the Chironomidae family. Trout feed on some stage of the midge life cycle every day of the year. The micro midge pattern is simple to tie and will be effective on our local tailwaters including the South Holston.|
Hook: Mustad 3906, Tiemco 3769. Dia Riki 075 in sizes #18 - #20
Bead: 5/64" silver tungsten
Tail: Hungarian Partridge extending a hook shank in length
Body: Black 8/0 thread
Rib: Fine silver wire
Flashback: Medium or small pearl Mylar tinsel
Thorax: Black dubbing
1. Crush down the barb and slide on the bead.
2. Attach the tying thread behind the eye and wrap to the bend of the hook.
3. Tie-in a few partridge fibers for a tail extending a hook shank in length.
4. Advance the thread forward ina tight spiral to behind the bead forming a thin body.
5. Wrap the wire rib forward in an open spiral.
6. Tie-in mylar flashback extending backwards over the hook shank.
7. Twist on a small amount of dubbing and wrap directly behind the bead forming a thorax.
8. Pull the mylar flashback over the thorax forming a wingcase - trim and whip finish.